Welcome to Pello, small town on the border of Sweden. Pellon lukio (high school) operates in a new building called Meän Opinahjo. In the same building operates also our primary school. Pello High School is a community of 30-40 students and 12-14 teachers. Students study in Finnish.
Our General High School Programme offers quality teaching and our teachers support you on your way to the Finnish matriculation examination (the final tests) but also on your way to applying into universities and further studies after high school. Studygroups are small, about 10-15 students. In our small high school, teaching is individualised and support for learning is easily available.
The high-school curriculum is spanned over three years, but the study duration can be shortened or lengthened. The period cannot exceed four years, unless an extension is granted to the student for a justified reason. High-school studies build on the curriculum of basic education. 75 is the minimum number of courses for high-school studies.
In Pello we have multiple hobbies to choose from on your free time. For example you can learn to play some instrument, or take a handycraft or dancing course in Meän Opisto (community college). If you like to spend time outdoor, you can go skiing, snowmobiling, fishing or hiking. It's also possible to play frisbeegolf and archery.
Links to videos etc. that our students have made for you:
See also principal's introduction in Youtube.
Expenses and Accommodation
Accommodation is possible
- in local families to under 18 years old students
-in shared student apartments for free.
Mobile phone costs with unlimited data about 20-25€/month.
Food and beverages 100-200€/month on freetime.
School Gym is free of costs.
We offer you:
- Free school supplies, including a laptop
- Free finnish drivers licence
- Free school lunch (mon-fri)
- small studygroups
- Free time mentors (adult, educated youth workers)
- individualised teaching and support
- Well organized first weeks including tutoring at school and help with getting to know our town, finding your free time hobbies, getting your apartment finished for you etc.
- Cozy, communal high school environment where help is always available!
- Beautiful nature and four seasons to experience
Welcome to our warm community!